One of the things that I have a hard time understanding is how life priorities often get so unbalanced, and we quickly find ourselves down a path that we shouldn't be on. When we know what is the best for us (spiritually, emotionally and physically), why is it so hard to make the shift? I find that it often takes getting to a low point before I realize how much I have allowed my life to become unbalanced. Why don't I learn from these types of mistakes? Why do I continue to act as though I am the one in control?
Beyond my own imperfections in this area, I struggle with being an influence to hold others accountable for this as well. At what point in our relationships with others in our churches to we encourage a shift in priorities or a journey down a different path? While pushing for acceptance, I think we are often too afraid to 1) push people away and 2) admit our own similar struggles. While accountability should be approached with love and understanding, it still should serve an important role in our lives. Jesus didn't lead people to believe that they were living as they should when in reality they weren't. He worried more about leading them to the kingdom than about always telling them what they wanted to hear.
1 comment:
YES! AMEN! And why is that? Priorities do seem to shift ever so slightly over time and then it is hard to get it back in line again. Thanks for sharing what you are thinking about. By reading your blog from time to time I feel as though we- you and I have spent some time together even when we haven't.
love you,
Jeanese
Post a Comment