1/2/10

The Holiday Season

The past week and a half, I have had a much needed break from normal life. For years now, we have not been able to have any real vacation time together. Either I was not in a position to take time off or Tim wasn't or we had obligations such as traveling to my sister's graduation, so we finally decided that it was time to get away from it all for a while. We had our Christmas vacation plans for months already when Tim was offered a position with the state. He made sure that they were aware of our existing travel plans before he excepted the position since he had put on his application that he was available January 1st.

This is really my last day of down time since we will be traveling back home tomorrow. It will be hard getting back into the groove, but I am so thankful that I have had some time to just be. Life has a tendency to catch you up in a whirlwind of activity. We spent Christmas with my family (minus my sister), and then spent time with Tim's grandparents in California, which included a day trip into San Francisco and a tour of the Jelly Belly Factory in Fairview. Now I am back at my parents' house hanging out on the couch.

I don't think our society encourages as much rest and relaxation time as it should. I know plenty of people who can't just take a day and rest at home without getting anxious for activity. There was a time in my life when I had more of those tendencies as well, but I now realize how much good it does for one's emotional and physical health. If you haven't had a break for a while, you might want to consider one soon.

No comments: