11/24/07

Thanksgiving

It seems as if we have been wearing down lately, working long hours and longing for a break. I have been maintaining a full classroom with little sign of relief any time soon. I am actually currently developing a wait list to start new students in January and February. Tim has been putting in a lot of overtime hours with the busy fall season, working every Saturday from 6 a.m. to 12 p.m. Our tentative plan for Thanksgiving this year was to spend the day with his side of the family but due to conflicting work schedules, we all weren't going to be able to get together on Thanksgiving Day. Tim was expecting to work Friday and Saturday as well. So...we settled for the plan of having a quiet Thanksgiving at home with just the two of us.

Tim found out earlier in the week that he was going to have Thursday through Sunday off (I am fortunate to get this time off as well), so we have found ourselves with a mini vacation at home, and I must say that it has been great. I actually put an entire Thanksgiving spread on for us on Thursday: turkey, mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, green beans, gravy, cranberries, and pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. The best part about it is that now we don't have to cook for the remainder of the weekend and into next week.

Friday, we hit a few early morning sales. People are absolutely CRAZY, but we had a plan (we weren't out to fight for the hot items), and we were finished by 7 a.m. Now we are almost entirely finished with any Christmas shopping that we had planned to do. Tim's family came down Friday afternoon to visit, so we didn't totally miss out on the family piece of Thanksgiving.

Today is Saturday, and we have not left the house. In the spirit of the holiday, this is one of the things that I have been continually giving thanks for the past few days...the opportunity to just rest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice when surprise vacation at home happen! They are some of the most relaxing. I am glad that you got a chance to rest and play and enjoy each other.

Amanda B

Maridy Carpenter said...

I am so jealous, I wish I was anywhere near done with our Christmas shopping! Glad to hear that you had a nice, relaxing holiday.