12/7/07

In Some Ways, I am Very Weak

As a kid, I never had to experience many hospital/medical facility visits. The three of us kids never had to be rushed to the emergency room, and I don't remember having any close relatives in the hospital for extended stays. So, now that I am in my adult years, I have had several near fainting and one absolute, down on the floor, fainting episode. The full faint took place while visiting my dad in ICU last January.

Yesterday, Tim had all four of his wisdom teeth pulled. I was sure that there would be no trouble whatsoever since I would not see any of the work being done, and he would not be hooked up to any IV's or anything else of that nature. After surgery, they had him laying on a cot coming out of the anesthesia, and they took me back to go over the at home care procedures. While the nurse was talking, I could feel the blood start to rush from my head and I was getting that light headed sensation. She walked away, I put my head between my knees, blood rush back to my head, I broke out in a sweat, and then all was well. When she returned, the nurse immediately asked if I was okay when she saw how pale I was. I told her that I would be fine but that I have discovered a tendancy to not deal with medical issues very well.

We made it home fine (good thing I was able to drive since Tim was somewhat out of it), and I was able to deal with all of the nasty gauze changes without having any further problems. So, I am not sure if it is the particular smell of medical facilities or something else. I now know that I cannot be left unattended in a hospital, so please don't count on me to stand by your side in this type of situation. Pull up a chair for me instead.

2 comments:

A said...

I think circumstance matters a lot in these situations. I had the exact same reaction when I went to visit my sister in the hospital after she had her leg repaired (as 6 pounds of titanium rods and pins) after a horrible break. I caught one look of the mess (days after mind you) and just about keeled over right there.

On the other hand, I was somehow able to stand with Melissa for 24 hours of labor with every possible horrible thing happening to her body and I was "fine", at least until it was all over.

Not my favorite thing, being stuck in the midst of suffering...

Amanda B said...

I would not call you weak but gentle hearted. I have a very hard time going to, visiting, or taking someone to the hospital. Anytime I have to take a family memeber in, I call for reinforcements (my auntie or an uncle). You just love people so much you don't wanna see them in pain. Good Heart is waht I say.