6/20/12

9 Months!

Yesterday, Ethan officially hit the 9 month mark, which means that we had another well baby check with his doctor. He is now 28.5 inches long and 21 lbs 11 oz. I was surprised that his height only put him in approximately the 60th percentile because he just seems tall to us. He is almost completely in 12 month clothes now.

He is a very busy and happy boy these days. While he started out crawling army style, he is on his knees most of the time now. Shortly after he started crawling, he began pulling up on his knees, and he can now balance on his knees without holding onto anything. I don't think it will be very long before he starts getting up on his feet.

As part of the 9 month check, we had to fill out a questionnaire full of developmental questions. Let me just say upfront that as someone who has been around a lot of different babies in my lifetime, I think it was somewhat of a joke. He scored incredibly high in fine motor skills but borderline in gross motor skills. Not one of the questions asked anything about crawling. Most of them had to do with him standing, walking while holding onto furniture, and being able to bend down to get something from a standing position with control (without falling). This seriously seems like it should be part of a 1 year survey and not a 9 month survey to me. It also ranked him borderline in communication because he isn't saying at least 3 words yet or following a simple command or doing hand motions to nursery rhymes on his own yet. Really??? This kid jabbers constantly even if he hasn't formed words yet, and there are a lot of things that we know he understands based on his nonverbal reactions. I didn't hardly talk until I was almost 3, so I would hate to know where I would have been ranked on the developmental scales if my parents had ever had to fill them out. It just seems that this is setting parents up prematurely to think that there is something wrong with their child. Yet another test that seems to bring negative consequences with it.

He smiles and interacts with practically EVERYONE we meet now. While we were at the doctor's office, he smiled at the receptionist checking us in, everyone in the waiting room, the nurses, and the doctor. He is just a happy happy boy, which makes this mommy happy too. We are so blessed to have such a healthy little boy.

We finished redoing our front yard so that he has a place to play in the grass now. I have attached a picture below for you to see the difference...it is incredible! Ethan loves to be outside, so I am thankful for the sunny days even though it hasn't been very consistent yet.

We are looking forward to spending an entire week with my family in July. They live in Gold Beach, so Ethan will have his first real experience with the beach while we are there. My sister is getting married and will come out the week before. She lives in Tennessee and has only been able to spend time with Ethan at Christmas, so we are going to make sure that she has plenty of time to spend with him. Plus we will have other family coming in from the east coast that we don't get to see very often. We'll see how disruptive that will be to Ethan's routine and schedule. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it won't affect it that much.

I have also included some of the more recent pictures of our little guy. We think he is pretty cute! :)




No comments: