So, this morning, I experienced one of my greatest work fears. I am currently in possession of a company laptop. Keep in mind that it isn't anything great...it is quite archaic now, but it does what I need it to do, and I am happy to have it.
This morning, as I am getting all set up to grade papers, I move a notebook on my desk, which in turn tips over my travel coffee mug. This of course happens to be open since I had taken a sip just moments prior, and it fell directly over the laptop keyboard. I grabbed it quickly, and since the hole in the lid is relatively small, it wasn't an excessive spill. It was still enough to make the computer freak out, and I immediately shut it off and tipped it upside down. So...here I was shortly after 6:00 a.m., no tech department on duty, no functionality of my normal work computer, and the thought that I might just have destroyed company property.
Fortunately, operating a training facility, I have access to many alternative computers, so I was able to set my email accounts up on a desktop computer. I also work closely with one of the tech. people as he currently serves as my assistant/substitute at least one day a week. After giving him time to start heading in to the office for the day, I called him on his cell phone to ask what I should do. He told me not to worry about it, to just leave it until he was down on Thursday and he would tear it apart and clean it up. He is confident that it will still be functional.
I am thinking that this should have happened on a Monday, not a Tuesday, but it sure was a great way to start the day anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment