10/5/07

The Joys of Aging

So, for my 27th birthday, I had decided more than a month ago to take a couple of days off from work just for myself. Little did I know at the time how badly I would need a break this week. Yesterday (Thursday) was my first day off, and entering the fourth day of experiencing episodes when I felt that my heart was beating far to quickly and feeling tightness in my chest, I started to worry and called my doctor's office. When they heard my symptoms, they found a way to get me in quickly. Leave it to me to schedule a doctor's appointment for a day off that was supposed to be a mental health day. At least it wasn't on my actual birthday though.

The short version of the story is that my blood pressure and heart rate were both much higher than what is normal for me even though they were not in the "danger zone." Just to be on the safe side, the doctor order a thyroid test and an EKG, but told me that everything sounded fine, so he suspected tension issues. While I don't know the results of the thyroid test at this time, my EKG was normal. And now that Tim and I both have had EKG's done within our first two years of marriage (both of us were approximately 27 years old), I am back to a known dilemma...stress management.

I am feeling much more relaxed today, partially due to the fact that I know I am not about to collapse, and I have to decide what steps need to be taken next. I exercise regularly, so that apparently isn't the quick fix solution. Ultimately, I feel that I need to accept the fact that no matter how much I plan and organize, no matter how much effort I put forth to avoid conflict in my job, at church, etc., God is in control of my life.

I am so thankful that Tim is as loving and supportive as he is, that our home is a refuge for me, and thank God that we both aren't high strung. Tim does balance me out a bit. :)

3 comments:

Maridy Carpenter said...

Kori, sounds like you are having an interesting "vacation." I'm praying for you, not just for your health issues, but also that you'll be able to de-stress more often and lean on God to do the controlling. Happy birthday. I'm glad you got a few days off.

A said...

It seems weird to put "happy birthday" in a post about going in on an urgent doctor's visit on your birthday. Let's just assume that the message was conveyed without actually writing it.

Too late.

Hope today is a much better, more birthday-oriented birthday. With good stuff like fall photography and movies and staring at the wall...

Sarah said...

Happy birthday, and I'm sorry to hear about the stress! I hope you're feeling more relaxed and get some much needed rest before you go back to work. (((hugs)))