2/10/08

Applying for jobs, interviewing, and stuff

So, a few weeks ago, I was feeling a little frustrated and unsettled. My husband started looking at job postings and found an Executive Assistant position for me to apply for. After looking over the job description, I wasn't really sure that I would be considered qualified for the position, but I decided it wouldn't hurt to apply. This was a state level position (one typically does not enter at the executive level), and the salary + benefits would be a huge blessing. So...I turned in an application. Within a week of the job closing, I received a call asking if I would like to interview for the position, so I did. The state operates differently than most interview processes, so I sat in front of a 4 person panel and answered very scripted questions. They provided me with a copy of the "official" job description, and trying to decipher it all gave me a headache. I wouldn't have hired myself based on that interview, but they called me for a second interview with the Director himself (the person who needed the Assistant). Long story short, I did not get the job, and there is great relief for my current employer and co-workers. It is good to know that I am considered to be a critically important employee, but I am also pleased to know that I have some highly marketable skills though that could potentially take me somewhere in the future. After interviewing, I received the scores for my application. This is another thing that the state does differently. To qualify for the position, the papers said that I needed a score of 70. My score = 94! We will see what the future holds for me.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Kori, I've always pegged you for one of those (rare) people who can do just about anything they choose. :) I'm not surprised about your 94!