On a daily basis, both through my job and other avenues, I encounter many people who can't seem to figure out how to get things done or how to go beyond what the minimum requirement is. Even though I realize that one of the benefits of my personality type is organization (therefore, I tend to get things done in a timely manner), I feel that there is a great element of laziness in our society today. When it comes to work, is it really too much to ask that other employees get their work done? After all, aren't they getting a paycheck? This is particularly frustrating to me when some of my work is dependent on contributions from others. Let's not even talk about going beyond the minimum to produce something of quality.
Outside of work, I feel that I should be able to count on an individual to follow through when they have told me that they would do something. Don't leave it undone...don't wait until the last minute...just do it. If you don't want to or can't do it, don't say that you will. This seems like a simple concept to me, but I am learning that it is more difficult than I think it is. I am not trying to condemn people for their faults, but I do get frustrated when people recognize their faults and don't work to either overcome or make adjustments/accommodations for those faults.
I do believe that it is acceptable to leave things undone when they only affects me as an individual, but I tend to draw the line when my lack of follow through causes an inconvenience to someone else.
2 comments:
I've been waiting for a certain check for right around two months now. I don't know if it is lack of funds or lack of follow through on their part, but two months is pretty unreliable.
Great post, Kori.
I am someone who ironically struggles with procrastination, BUT am a great stickler mentally for getting things done when other people are dependent on me for it.
Post a Comment