8/9/08

The Seuss, the Whole Seuss, and Nothing But the Seuss

For those of you who don't know, I am a Dr. Seuss fan. I have been gradually working on a collection of all of his children's books (I think I am over halfway there now). My husband bought me an extensive biography that I had had on my wish list for quite some time. I have been gradually working my way through it over the past 6+ months, but I finished it today. Yet another reason to love relaxing Saturdays.

There were many things about Ted Geisel (Dr. Seuss) that I learned, but this book confirmed one of my greatest admirations of him as an author. When Ted began investing most of his energies in books for children, he had come to the conclusion that children were not given enough credit for their capabilities and that limits had been placed on their learning and imaginations by the educational materials available and the education system itself. Coming from an educator's perspective myself, I am often frustrated by the fact that, as a society, we don't expect enough of our children and we don't set the bar high for them, allowing them to grow and thrive. No, this does not apply to all of the adults that I associate with and have worked with; however, I have witnessed the incredible failings of the education of our children. Thanks Dr. Seuss for fighting against that!

No comments: