9/27/08

Reflections On My First Week

It is amazing how much of a difference a job can make. After my first week in my new position, I now realize how much of a toll stress was taking on me physically and emotionally. I feel so much better than I did a couple of weeks ago (more energy and I don't constantly feel sick). I also come home happy every day, which I think is something that Tim is appreciating these days. I love having a smile on my face at the end of the day, even when it has been a long day at work.

So far, I have not been very busy at work for a couple of reasons: 1)Everyone is getting used to me and figuring out what my skills and talents are, 2)The department is not incredibly busy right now because it is not tax season or legislative session. I must admit that it is strange to actually have scheduled breaks, including an hour lunch break. I have been getting out and getting some fresh air during my lunch time, and getting some additional exercise by taking the stairs from and up to the 4th floor.

The Deputy Director (one of the people that I provide direct support for) received very complimentary remarks about my performance on Friday by one of the department managers, which she passed on to me. It feels very good to feel appreciated every day. The people I work with consistently compliment and support each other.

We have had to make some adjustments to our daily routine since I now have to work until 5:15. Tim has taken on a lot of the dinner preparation, which I appreciate tremendously. It is nice to have dinner ready or at least in progress when I get home. I now have a couple of options for traveling home. As a State employee, I can ride the bus whenever I want to. The other day, I got on the bus around 5:18 and was at the Target close to our house by 5:30. It is only about 2.5 miles, so I actually walked home a couple of days. Of course, the bus will be my choice most of the time when the weather gets worse and it starts getting dark much earlier.

This week and proven that this was a much needed change for me. I am looking forward to the months to come, and I hope that the smile is still on my face throughout tax season.

No comments: