11/29/12

The Holiday Season Update...part 1

Time is just flying by as we have fully entered the holiday season now. We spent the Thanksgiving holiday in Gold Beach with my parents and grandparents, and we are looking forward to a quiet Christmas at home this year. We will have quite a few days together as a family, so we hope to get some fun outings in as well.

It is amazing how much Ethan is learning these days. While he isn't verbalizing many words yet (I am not sure that is a big surprise as I was not much of a talker until I was older), he has been picking up more and more sign language. I probably am forgetting some in this list, but below are some of the signs he knows:
More
Milk
Eat
Drink
Cheese
All Done
Sleep
Dog
Apple it looked like he correctly signed it yesterday anyway
Cracker...he has at least made an attempt even if it isn't quite right

Food is very important to him as you can tell by the signs that he uses. :)

Ethan is basically running all over the place these days. He doesn't really like to stop...EVER. While at my parents' house last week, it took him only a couple of minutes to master climbing the stairs, which he wanted to do over and over again. We are still not quite able to come down unassisted. He has to be turned around on this tummy before he will make his way down.

Ethan also loves trying to help these days but often gets frustrated when it is too hard for him. We are thinking that some good gift options for Christmas this year are child sized cleaning items and tools. He always wants to use the broom too when I am sweeping the kitchen floor, and he tries so hard to use the outdoor broom and rake when we have been out cleaning up all the leaves and debris this fall. He apparently was paying attention while I watered plants this summer because he will pick up the watering can and try to water the plants too now. I will be teaching him to help out as he gains the ability to because I would love to have a little helper around the house!!

Our struggles right now include temper tantrums about him not getting his way and finding it very difficult to get through church services on Sundays. He would much rather be down running around and exploring right now than sitting with us. We are trying to be as consistent as possible with him. When we do take him out of the auditorium, he still has to stay with us and be still rather than getting down and playing. I am hoping that we will eventually see the payoff of our efforts because it is so difficult right now.

Ethan does make us laugh every day, sometimes when we shouldn't, and he seems to truly enjoy making those around him laugh. He is a funny little kid, and I am not quite sure what to expect when he actually does start talking more. :)

No comments: