1/28/13

Made From Scratch

For a relatively organized person, I was not totally prepared for the magnitude of change and chaos that my child would bring into my life. Now that he is 16 months old, I find myself just now beginning to feel like I am gaining a level of organization at home that I am comfortable with.

Prior to having Ethan, I already had established a monthly meal planning routine in order to save money, avoid too many trips to the grocery store (I really don't like grocery shopping), and incorporate healthier eating habits into our lifestyle. For the most part, I was able to continue this routine after Ethan was born; however, I had to simplify meals for quite some time.

Recently, I have started gathering recipes to make more and more items from scratch. Not only am I certain that I will continue to save more money on our overall food bill, but I also think this will bump our level of healthy eating up another notch. I am committed to making sure my son develops good eating habits, and I want to know what is going into his body.

Just within the last week, I made my own bread with just a few simple ingredients, I made a butternut squash and spinach lasagna which is in the freezer for later, I made my own protein snack bars, I made homemade hot pocket sandwiches to have on hand in the freezer, and have made homemade pizza including the crust. I am glad to have the time and ambition to make more from scratch rather than relying on convenience found in the prepackaged items in the grocery store.

Some of the next things on my radar to try include:
Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
English Muffins
Chai Tea
Refried Beans
Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Fruit Leather

No comments: