9/11/14

What is it about the phone?

There is a strange phenomenon that happens when I try to have a conversation on the phone. For some reason that is the unspoken cue for my child to suddenly need my undivided attention, a snack, something to drink, a clean diaper, etc. It never fails. I can get him situated with a snack and a DVD of one of his favorite shows (trying to buy myself some time to make a necessary phone call), but the moment I begin a conversation, his attention is immediately drawn to me and the fact that I am not paying attention to him.

Yesterday was a perfect example. He was supposed to be having "quiet time" in his bedroom. I needed to make a call to our bank's customer service to deal with an issue. As soon as he heard me talking, Ethan decided that meant his quiet time was over and that he could come into the same room I was in. What could I reasonably do about it at that point? He proceeded to try to have a conversation with me, make all kinds of weird noises while laughing at himself, and when all attempts failed, loudly proclaimed, "I need a clean diaper!" I am not sure what the person on the other end of the phone was thinking, but she did not indicate that she heard his proclamation even when he repeated himself for emphasis.

Perhaps someday I'll be able to have a normal phone conversation again, but for now, I think I should just give in to the reality that it isn't possible as long as I am in the same house with my toddler/preschooler.

No comments: